On 11 October 2021, the Real Property Amendment (Certificates of Title) Act 2021 commenced, which abolished the Certificates of Title (CTs) and the control of the right to deal (CoRD) framework. All existing CTs have been cancelled and CTs will no longer be issued. Existing CTs will not need to be produced, and CoRD holder consent will not be required, for a dealing or plan to be registered. All existing Guidelines subject to this change are currently being reviewed and will be updated to reflect these changes. For further information regarding the abolition of CTs, please see https://www.registrargeneral.nsw.gov.au/property-and-conveyancing/eConveyancing/abolition-of-certificates-of-title

Adding a partner's name to my title

As every individual circumstance is different, NSW LRS is unable to provide specific advice. This information is of a general nature and you may wish to seek legal or professional advice to complete a transfer.

To include your partner on your title they will need to have an interest or share in the property. Any mortgages on the property will also need to reflect their interest or share in the property.

If you plan to transfer a share in your property and renegotiate any mortgage you should contact your lender in the first instance. Your lender will most likely lodge all documents and the Certificate of Title on your behalf after you have the Transfer form stamped/marked at Revenue NSW. Mortgagees usually charge a fee for this service.

Generally you will need the following forms:

1. Transfer form 01T

The Transfer form 01T is available from this website under Land title dealing forms. Select the required form of Execution before printing the form. To complete the Transfer form (01T) correctly:

  • you should record your name as both the transferor and the transferee in parts (C) and (H) on the form
  • record your partner's name as transferee part (H) 
  • select the required form of tenancy (H) either Joint Tenants or Tenants in Common. Note that Tenancy affects what happens to the property if one of you dies for more information see Tenancy 
  • you should sign as transferor 
  • both of you sign as transferees
  • do not complete Consideration (D) or Share Transferred (F) parts of the form: leave both these sections blank
  • for information regarding stamp duty exemptions, forms and requirements for transfers between married or de facto partners call Revenue NSW on 9685 2122 or go to the Revenue NSW website to download appropriate Revenue NSW forms. You must have the Transfer form stamped/marked by Revenue NSW before presenting it to NSW LRS even though you may be exempt from paying stamp duty. 

    From 1 July 2016, conveyancing documents able to be processed on Electronic Duties Return (EDR), will no longer be assessed at Revenue NSW. For more information, visit www.revenue.nsw.gov.au.

2. Notice of sale (NOS) form

Customers can complete and lodge an online Notice of sale (NOS) form available from NSW LRS OnlineHard copy versions can be obtained from our Sydney office or law stationers. A NOS form can be mailed to you if you call 02 8776 3575.

3. The original Certificate of Title

Your original Certificate of Title - currently held by either you or your lender.

4. Any mortgage documents

Any mortgage documents prepared by your lender. Remember if you already have a mortgage you should seek advice from your lender in the first instance.

The Transfer form (O1T) must be marked by Revenue NSW, before lodgment in NSW LRS' Sydney office.

Current lodgment fees - see Land title fees page - will apply for any transfer and mortgage documents. There is no charge to lodge the NOS form.