On 11 October 2021, the Real Property Amendment (Certificates of Title) Act 2021 commenced, which abolished the Certificates of Title (CTs) and the control of the right to deal (CoRD) framework. All existing CTs have been cancelled and CTs will no longer be issued. Existing CTs will not need to be produced, and CoRD holder consent will not be required, for a dealing or plan to be registered. All existing Guidelines subject to this change are currently being reviewed and will be updated to reflect these changes. For further information regarding the abolition of CTs, please see https://www.registrargeneral.nsw.gov.au/property-and-conveyancing/eConveyancing/abolition-of-certificates-of-title

Discharging a Sydney resident's mortgage

Once a mortgage of Torrens Title land has been paid off the mortgagee (the lender) prepares a Discharge of Mortgage (Form 05DM). This is an acknowledgment in writing by the mortgagee that the obligation (principal and interest) secured by a mortgagee has been repaid.

What must I do to have the mortgage removed from the title to my land?

It is essential that the Discharge of Mortgage and Certificate of Title are lodged with NSW LRS to enable the removal of the mortgage from your title. The mortgagee can normally arrange for the lodgment of these documents on payment of an additional fee to the NSW LRS lodgment fee or the Discharge of Mortgage form and Certificate of Title received from your lender can be lodged for registration in person at NSW LRS  Level 30, 175 Liverpool Street, Sydney office.

The current lodgment fee (see schedule of fees) is payable (card, cheque, postal order or cash).

The new edition of your Certificate of Title will be returned by registered post with the mortgage removed.

Please ensure you include your name, address and telephone number (3 lines only) on the Discharge of Mortgage form part '(C) LODGED BY'. This is the address the new edition of the Certificate of Title will be mailed to.

More information

Detailed information on Discharge of Mortgage is available on the  Registrar General's Guidelines website.