A building alteration plan must be lodged when the manner in which a strata lot boundary is defined has been changed by the removal of a structure or the building of a structure. See section 19 Strata Schemes Development) Act 2015. The purpose of the plan is to redefine the relevant boundaries in the original position. The plan does not define land (i.e. lots or common property).
- No new boundaries are created
- The common property is not affected
- If it is the intention to alter the position of a lot boundary a Strata plan of subdivision should be lodged.
A location plan is not required unless the new structure is within 2 metres of a parcel boundary.
The floor plan is prepared in the same manner as the original floor plan. However there are some other things to consider:
- It is only required to show the relevant parts of lots and the adjoining information.
- In some circumstances it may be desirable to show the entire floor of a building so it is clear where the lots are situated.
- The lot numbering must remain the same as immediately prior to the plan.
- It is not required to show areas.
- Boundaries previously defined by a face of a structure which has been demolished must now be defined by line boundaries.
- Boundaries which were previously defined by line only may now be defined by the face or another part of a structure.
Building alteration plans require a surveyor’s certificate and must be executed by the registered proprietor (and mortgagee etc) on either side of the subject boundary. This may include the owners corporation.
Strata plan form 3.06
This form will always be sheet 1 of the administration sheets for Building Alteration Plan. It is the responsibility of the surveyor to complete all panels on this form except the Office Use Only panels for the strata plan number and registration details.
Insert the total number of sheets of the administration sheets.
Strata plan number, registration details
These panels are for Office Use Only and should be left blank on plans lodged for registration.
Note If the plan has a pre-allocated plan number or was pre-examined the SP number maybe completed.
The plan heading is the panel containing the words, “STRATA PLAN OF BUILDING ALTERATION REGARDING THE BOUNDARIES OF:”. This must be completed by inserting the identity of the land which has boundaries affected by the building alteration. This may include lot(s) and common property.
LGA, Locality, Parish and County
The current Local Government Area, Locality, Parish and County should be shown in the appropriate position.
This panel must be completed and executed by a registered land surveyor.
All appropriate information should be entered and the inapplicable information should be struck through.
- Insert the name of the surveyor in the space after I,
- Insert the company name after of, if there is no company insert the locality of the business.
- If the plan has been prepared because a structure has been demolished strike through the inapplicable parts (wall, floor, ceiling or common infrastructure) within item (1). Insert the appropriate lot(s) and strata plan number(s)
- If nothing has been demolished strike though item (1) completely.
- If the plan has been prepared because a structure has been constructed strike through the inapplicable parts (wall, floor or ceiling) within item (2). Insert the appropriate lot(s) and strata plan number(s). Complete the appropriate parts of (a), (b) and (c) or strike through if inapplicable.
- If nothing has been constructed strike though item (2) completely.
- If the structure described in item (2) does not encroach on a parcel boundary strike through item (3) completely..
- If the structure described in item (2) does encroach on a parcel boundary strike through parts (a) or (b) within item (3) as appropriate. If (b) is left intact insert the creating instrument for the easement. Strike through the inapplicable parts (wall, floor or ceiling) as appropriate.
- Sign and date the certificate.
- Insert the surveyor ID as provided by BOSSI.
- Insert the surveyor’s reference (maximum of 25 characters). The reference must be identical to that shown on the plan to provide a link between the documents. Following the surveyor’s reference information in brackets may be added indicating version numbers of the document. This may vary between the plan and the administration sheets.
Before execution, a surveyor must be satisfied that the plan complies with all the parts of the certificate. Attention is drawn to section 19 and schedule 1 Strata Schemes Development Act 2015.