On 11 October 2021, the Real Property Amendment (Certificates of Title) Act 2021 commenced, which abolished the Certificates of Title (CTs) and the control of the right to deal (CoRD) framework. All existing CTs have been cancelled and CTs will no longer be issued. Existing CTs will not need to be produced, and CoRD holder consent will not be required, for a dealing or plan to be registered. All existing Guidelines subject to this change are currently being reviewed and will be updated to reflect these changes. For further information regarding the abolition of CTs, please see https://www.registrargeneral.nsw.gov.au/property-and-conveyancing/eConveyancing/abolition-of-certificates-of-title

Change of address for service of notices

An association may change its address for service of notices by resolving to change its address at a general meeting of the association - see section 228 Community Land Management Act 2021. A Change of Address of Association (form 21CAA) must be prepared and lodged with NSW LRS. The change of address does not become effective until the form is registered. Information on how to complete the form can be found here.

Written notice of a change of address must be given to the community association if a precinct association changes its address.

Similarly, a neighbourhood association that is part of a community and/or precinct association must give written notice to each association.

All NSW legislation can be accessed at www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/